Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Sakura

Hullo there!

Wow, it's been quite a month. TricotChico and myself have been hard at work writing patterns and preparing info for test knitters! (also, if you're interested in test knitting, comment below with your e-mail address, or find one of us through the ravelry links on the sidebar)

First I need to say a huge thanks to all of you find folks who visit us regularly, or send your friends over here or just find us randomly, some how, through the magick of the Internet. You may have noticed an interruption in the presence of our blog recently. You see, thanks to all of you lovely readers, we exceeded our monthly bandwidth for the first time! In all the excitement, I forgot to buy the next hosting package up, and VOILA - interruption. But we're back up and running! Thanks for sticking in there!

A couple months ago, a good friend of mine at Knit Picks, Kate, offered me an opportunity to be part of their new Independent Designer Program. Their format was incredibly unique, and frankly, groundbreaking. Their program puts 100% of pattern revenue in the hands of the designers. If you're at all familiar with how a lot of magazines work, I'm not going to sugar coat it for you - a lot of them don't look out for the designer's interests (lots of other designers, like Annie Modesitt, have written fantastic blog posts explaining this situation) You can understand why i was excited and wanted to be a part of this program.


Pattern: Sakura by David Castillo
$1.99 on the Knit Picks Pattern Store
Yarn: Knit Picks Gloss HW in 'Aegean'
Needle: US8

This hat was knit from an idea I've had kicking around in my head for a while. It was nice to finally take some time and work it out. I have also knit a very serviceable prototype out of Cascade 220 that is equally fabulous.

Let me talk for a second about the yarn used in this pattern, though. A lot of people tend to associate inexpensive yarn with low quality, which i can understand but I'm always saddened by this dismissal. Gloss is an incredibly affordable yarn while maintaining an excellent quality! I had no issues with this ball of yarn, it was spun nicely and evenly, no excessive knots (I'm not sure if there was any knots, actually). On top of that, the fiber blend is delightful! It's 80% Merino 20% Silk. Absolutely fantastic.

That little gush-session/commercial aside, This hat is a great, quick knit - Excellent for all that Christmas knitting you need to get done! The decreases include a few twisted-stitch cables, which provide you with the chance to try out some cabling without the daunting task of knitting an all-over cable pattern. On top of that, when you finish of this hat you're going to feel like a super clever knitting rock star!

Again folks, thanks for all the visits! It's been so exciting to watch the blog stats and see so many people enjoying what we put out there.

Happy Stitching!
Davitron

8 comments:

Drew said...

This is a great hat design :) I love Knit Picks yarns!

Meredith C. said...

It's gorgeous!

Neanner said...

I adore your designs!!! I haven't paid for a pattern through Ravelry but this one will have to be the first.

avelinux said...

Your hat is absolutely awesome :o)

Anonymous said...

I loved this hat so much that I actually paid for a pattern--the first time, ever! Am going to knit it first for me, and then for the chemo hats that I knit for charity.

I won't be able to use the wool, however, because I'm allergic to it, and the chemo hats have to be machine washable (and specifically, NOT wool).

However, am really looking forward to making the hats! Thanks for such a beautiful hat pattern!!
Karyl

kanishk said...

hat is absolutely awesome

Work from home India

Yarnover said...

The hat is beautiful!

Leslie said...

Help please. I bought Sakura from Knit Picks some time ago and finally started knitting it as a chemo cap. I am having trouble with the crown shaping--it doesn't look right. wonder if there are any corrections to the pattern. My computer crashed so I no longer have the knit picks link to my purchase.