Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Knitting is *so* Metal!!!

Dear BlogoFans, it's been a while, but now I have something quite exciting to show you!

For your perusal and edification: a hat that my friend Corey requested quite a while ago and is just now finished, photographed, and ready to share. So what happened is this: approximately 14 months ago, Corey emailed me a pic of a Bearded Toque with the question, "can you make me one of these?" Admittedly, I'm a selfish knitter; I learned to knit because I wanted to make things for myself because either I couldn't find them in shops or I just didn't want to take the time to search them out. Yet, for some reason, I agreed to do this favor for Corey.


Patterns: Bearded Toque and Viking Hat
Yarns: Malabrigo Merino Worsted in Pearl Ten (cap) and Cinnabar (beard/moustache),
Louet Riverstone in Charcoal (hat band) and Cream (horns).
Needles: Addi Turbo Circular needles, size US7, except the horns,
which were knit on size US5 needles.

Part of the deal included dinner for me, so over said dinner I got the requisite basic information, like color, general beard shape ideas, etc, and by the end I could tell that this could be no ordinary Bearded Toque. I would combine this idea with the Viking Hat that I had recently seen on Ravelry. Measurements were taken, yarn purchased, and, eventually, a hat was born.


Corey was incredibly patient, and only asked me about his hat once. To his credit, when I originally asked when he wanted the hat, his response was, "next winter." That was in Spring 2008; his "when am I gonna get it?" inquiry was during a very cold walk in January 2009. Yeah.


Learning, however, is of tantamount importance when taking on any project. During this project I learned a new cast-on technique, how to make bobbles, and I learned to not take requests. Really, it's better for everyone involved if my knits are given as surprises.


Besides, surprises are always awesome.

10 comments:

Emily said...

This is hilarious. I commend you on a job well done, and it must feel good not to have it hanging over your head any longer!

Yarndude said...

I agree with you. I can't stand feeling obligated to get a project finished for someone else.

sarah Johnson said...

you finished it!!! it looks amazing, i am seriously impressed by both your craftiness and your generosity... i too am a bit of a selfish knitter and i sooooo would have wanted to keep this ;)

Anonymous said...

omg - my 30 year old son just asked for this. I have been knitting him toys that go with his gaming job - sackboy etc. He seems to think this is a step up in difficulty - more like a flying leap!

gorgeous however.

Kevin said...

Haha, I was going to crochet something similar to this. Good job.

Nandi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nandi said...

It's too funny! I love it.

kristina said...

After a number of failed gifts I don't take on any more requests or even any knitting more than a beanie for anyone other than myself...

Shanna (craftyshanna on Ravelry) said...

This is so awesome I can hardly stand it! My husband would love me forever if I made him one of these (but hopefully, he'll love me forever even if I don't!). He's been begging for a bearded balaclava for a while now. I just may have to start one of these in time for next winter.

Bean said...

oh my wives, beard hat to the extreme! i think i'm in love



http://massivemacaque.blogspot.com